Question: The beach trip is 8 weeks away, my mind is already there but my body is stuck in mid January. I need to get lean. My food is now clean, I have lost 8 pounds in the last month and I feel like I am ready to peel the rest of the fat off. I have no health issues and am 36 years old. Can you provide a get ripped routine for the next 8 weeks?
Answer: 8 weeks is time enough to peel about 15 to 25 pounds depending on your work ethic and mental attitude which seems to be a go now. Since you said you have your food under control we will outline a training regimen only.
Start you day with cardio for 20 to 30 minutes. This needs to be done if you are using a treadmill at a full incline with a moderate pace of 3 to 3..5 MPH taking long strides pushing through your hips and glutes. Since your job has flexible hours, lunch will be your high intensity training session. We want to affect large muscle groups which require huge amounts of energy.
Using a circuit training system of 5 exercises combined with an aerobic portion:
- Start this thing with bicycle crunches. 50, 25 on each leg gets your heart rate pumping,
- Next, move to reverse block lunges stepping back for 10 reps on each leg. Do each leg individually instead of alternating them.
- Follow those with a clean/press with a light weight for 10 reps.
- Finish the cycle with squats for 10 reps getting the center of your thigh parallel to the floor.
- Now you have 2 minutes of jumping rope.
- Repeat the circuit 5 times.
After work you have another 20 to 30 minutes of cardio similar to your morning session.
The second day begins as the first did with cardio.
Your training session at lunch starts with:
- Hip raises for 20 reps followed by
- Jumping jack pushups. ( your feet spread out as you lower your torso and close back together when you push up).
- Horizontal pull ups for 10 reps are next.
- Deadlifts are the fourth exercise on your list and
- Finish off with dumbbell push/press for 8 reps.
- The cardio blast part of this routine is the burpee for 15 reps.
- You again have 5 cycles of this.
Your PM workout is 20 to 30 minutes of 70% intensity cardio.
Your third training day is a light day.
Do a morning run for 2 miles,
Stretch for 20 minutes at lunch and no late session.
Start the sequence again on day 4 repeating your Day 1 training.
Day 5 repeats Day 2 workouts and
Day 6 is light.
You are off for day 7. You will want it .
Training is not boring if it is challenging. This one is challenging.
God bless and keep training,