How Does the 80/20 Eating Plan Help You Lose Weight?

Share

Question: I’ve read your article that mentioned the 80/20 format for healthy eating. Is that 80% of each day that you eat healthy? Is it low carb? How do you lose weight doing this?
Answer: The 80/20 method is quite simple. During the week you eat clean healthy foods 80% of the time and the other 20% of the time you get to enjoy some foods that may not be as healthy for you as they should be.
Basically, Monday through Friday you eat clean. Saturday and Sunday you can cheat a bit.
If you have a regular work or school schedule then your time each week is planned around your schedule. Use that schedule during the week to plan meals, cook and eat healthy foods. Since your days are planned out you can learn to work with or around the schedule you operate within.
Enjoy a breakfast of a couple of eggs, whole wheat toast and cantaloupe instead of a biscuit and soft drink at the drive thru. If you, like one of our clients, can go to the drive thru and when you pull up they know what you’ll purchase because they recognize your voice, you really need to make some changes!
Roast a turkey breast in the oven on the weekend, buy some whole wheat pita bread and have turkey in pita with some spicy mustard with fruit and yogurt for lunch on Monday. Eat an apple and two teaspoons of peanut butter for an afternoon snack.
Use a crock pot to cook some chicken with fresh vegetables for dinner, It does take planning and can be challenging to adjust to, at first. The rewards in weight loss, improved energy and the time you can spend with your family eating a meal are huge benefits.
Do this throughout the week and on the weekends, plan to enjoy something that isn’t part of your new normal eating. Have a cone of ice cream or a slice of pizza. As your taste buds change and your body changes your “cheats” will change as well. You won’t desire some foods any more and if you do, then the amount you eat will be smaller.
Once the weekend is over,you’re back on your stricter plan. You can’t cheat during the week and you can’t cheat all weekend on whatever you want if you are serious about seeing long lasting results. It does allow you to have things you enjoy and a psychological break from the rigors of disciplined food choices. It works well and is simple to follow.
God bless and keep training,
Daryl

Share