New Years “Do Over” for Loosing Weight and Keeping It Off

Share

Question: The New Year is next week and I have allowed yet another year to slip by without me reaching a weight and look that makes me feel good about myself. What’s the best diet out there now to get weight off and keep it off?
Answer: The New Year always gets you ready for a “do-over.” You remember when you were kids and playing in the neighborhood and something just didn’t go right so you called a “do-over.” With that call you repeated whatever you were playing. You get a new starting point January 1 to take a shot at making it a better year and in your case it’s losing weight and keeping it off. Unfortunately, a new diet is not the answer for anyone. A diet is good only for as long as you can stay on it. The diet you used earlier this year caused you to lose 5 pounds the first week which was a great start. The second week you lost only 3 pounds. The week after it was one pound and they cut your calories down to under 1000 a day. Then the real cravings set in and you beat yourself up for being weak and giving in to them.
The thing they neglected to tell you at the weight loss facility was that the initial weight loss was due to the calorie restrictions as your body depleted its stores of glycogen, stored sugar. For every gram of glycogen that your body stores it holds on to an additional 2.3 grams of water. Lose the glycogen, lose the water, and lose weight on the scale. As your weight loss slowed, so did your body’s metabolism due to chemical changes in your cortisol levels that used muscle for fuel.
The cravings are a chemical response to the calorie restrictions as your body responded with enzymes that activated neurotransmitters in your brain making you want sugar, the quickest source of energy and fat for longer energy stores. Diet alone doesn’t work and exercise alone doesn’t work well. The four pillars of a complete and successful lifestyle changing program are weight training and high intensity aerobics as your exercise base. Drink plenty of water, at least 64 ounces a day and eat a balanced menu high in fiber and fresh food that doesn’t come out of a window in a wall.
Do two days a week of weight training and short intense cardio immediately after the weights. Continue doing aerobics an additional 3 to 4 days each week with high intensity cardio for 30 to 40 minutes. You get one day off from exercise. Drink your water throughout the day every day. For instance drink 16 ounces by 9 AM, 16 ounces by noon, 16 ounces by 3 PM and the remainder by 6 PM. Follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time, Monday through Friday eat “clean” the other 20%, Saturday and Sunday you can loosen up a little with a “cheat meal” on Sunday. This is something that you can live with indefinitely and when you get the weight off you’ll be in better shape physically and mentally from the exercise. Your maintenance program will allow you to reduce some of the cardio time. Diet and exercise go hand-in-hand and make your life easier. There are 168 hours in a week. Train hard for 4 of them each week for a month and I’ll guarantee that you’ll look different and feel like a younger version of yourself.
God bless and Happy New Year,
Daryl

Share