Question: i am trying to eat clean but I am not a big fan of fish. I love burgers and have been trying to use turkey instead of beef but it’s just not the same. Do you have a recipe for turkey burgers that will keep them from tasting like hockey pucks?
Answer: You bet I do. To get a better taste try grilling instead of the frying pan, and if the weather is not permissible, the George Foremen grill comes in handy.
The other part of keeping them from drying out is to cook them a fixed amount time, usually 4 minutes per side, and it doesn’t matter if it is on the grill, in the frying pan or using the George Foreman.
This recipe for Asian turkey burgers requires a few minutes of preparation and uses one pound of 93% lean ground turkey:
- Chop up one small onion and two small cloves of garlic.
- Shred one tablespoon of fresh ginger.
- Chop half of a bell pepper,
- Blend all the ingredients together.
- Add the turkey along with one tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and one tablespoon of soy sauce.
- Knead the mixture until completely blended.
- Pat into burgers and cook.
If you want good tasting beef burgers the recipe works for beef as well. Use 93% or even 96% lean ground beef to keep your level of fats low.
To keep your calories further in check use whole wheat hamburger buns or whole wheat pita pockets. Spicy mustard works well with lettuce and tomato.
God bless and keep training,