Question: With my job situation and where I live, going to a gym is impossible right now even with 24 hour facilities. Is there a training routine I can use with body weight exercises?
Answer: Sure there is. Some of these exercises are used regularly in training routines at Body Unlimited now.
Core exercises are almost exclusively body-weight movements.
- Bicycle crunches for 50 reps (that’s 25 reps per side) alternated with plank for at least 30 seconds is a good combo to begin your routine. Do 3 sets of each.
- Then you have pull-ups which work your upper body and build an amazing back. Go for 8 to 12 reps and 3 sets.
- To work the opposite side of your torso you can do push-ups. These can be done in a variety of ways. The standard one is a good beginning point but remember to always challenge yourself by using methods like elevating your feet or slowing down your rep speed. Both of these methods increase the stress on our chest, shoulders and triceps.
- Squats and lunges are essential for leg development. Bodyweight squats require massive reps to make a difference in the muscles being worked. One way is to use a deck of cards and do reps according to what number is on the face of the card.
- The same for lunges or calf raises. Remember with calves to keep the pressure on the ball of the foot behind the big toe. This causes stronger contraction on the gastroc which is the large ball of muscle below your knee.
- Your biceps, triceps and shoulders will get worked indirectly from the previous exercises. The few exercises listed are only a few available for your routine.
- Be creative and challenging.
God bless and keep training,