Six Steps to Successful Weight Loss…

Share

Question: I need help losing weight. I know that I am one of millions that made a resolution to get in shape this year and I would like to have a better idea of how to accomplish this. What can you tell me about being successful with losing weight?
Answer: Get a concrete idea about what you are setting yourself out to accomplish. Do you want to lose weight or do you want to lose 30 pounds? Be specific about your goals. Plan a time frame to make this happen. It does not have to be written in stone to be successful but you need to move with a purpose and stay within the timeframe you set up. At the same time you don’t need to stress over the time frame if you slip and stop by the donut shop one day. You will slip, just get back on track without missing a beat.
There are six pillars that are the base of a successful weight loss/shape up program.

  1. Make a plan. This means taking a few minutes to actually write down what you are going to accomplish. You may even need to get a couple of sessions with a trainer to make a plan for the actual training you will need to do. However you go about it, don’t wander around the gym trying various machines without a purpose when you train. Follow your workout plan and get out.
  2. Be consistent. You will miss days occasionally, just don’t get into the habit of missing. Don’t zone out when you are in the gym either. Be focused and fulfill you propose for that training day. Schedule your time to workout and make it happen. Things will always seem to come up. Most of the time the things can wait.
  3. Drink water. You body is made of about 70% water. You need it and if you get into the habit of drinking it your body will crave more of it.
  4. Follow the 80/20 rule with your food selections. 80% of the time eat a clean diet. This works out to Monday through Friday and into Saturday morning. Loosen up a bit for the other 20% of the time but don’t go too crazy with it.
  5. Get your cardio in 4 to 5 days a week while you are in the weight lose phase of your training. Make it as intense as you can. The level of intensity will increase as you become more conditioned. Continue to push yourself and excite your metabolism.
  6. Train with weight 2 times a week minimum. You can train more but do at least two days of weights a week. This tones and builds muscle which is your best metabolic enhancer.

Follow these loose guidelines and build the foundation for your success.
God bless and keep training,
Daryl

Share